Thursday, August 16, 2012

Transport

So, I haven't rented a car yet, I'm not planning to until I get back from Vancouver (apparently it's easier and quicker to border cross on a train).

I haven't needed one, I've just been wandering through downtown Seattle, venturing up to the University District and around Pioneer Square. The variety and amount of public transport is pretty amazing.

I particularly like the cable buses? Like normal buses but on strings! The drivers are very friendly and been so cool especially when I've been confused. Today though I saw one have some sort of accident, there was a huge bang, sparks and then "arms" that attach it to the overhead wires kind of deflated down. I don't think any wires actually came down, but the whole network of them overhead was jingling. Fortunately I wasn't planning on catching that one.

There's also trams and the monorail and the light rail "SeaTac" that got me from the airport to my first hotel. Plus like one million buses. The monorail is cool, but only takes you a walkable distance.

Americans have weird ideas about what is and isn't walkable. They're all about 'but it's too hot today'. Don't get me wrong it's hitting just that side of unpleasant here atm, but seriously it's like mid to high 20s.

Also there are taxi's. I'm catching the train tomorrow, and went to talk to my hotel reception about the best way to get to the train station (I couldn't find where it was).  The conversation went like this:

Me:  Oh okay that's quite close, do you reckon bus it or cab it
Him: Depends what time does your train leave?
Me: 7.40am
Him: Definitely taxi. Easier.
Me: What do I do to book a taxi here?
Him: Just come down when you're ready to leave and when you check out we'll ring you one.
Me: ... you don't need to book it tonight?
Him: No, there's a little waiting time, give it 15minutes before you actually have to go.
Me: Seriously????


It is also likely to be incredibly cheap. This is witchcraft there is no other explanation.

Basically the score from what I can tell.
America: Taxi's, public transport, nerds & cheap books. 4
Australia: Cheese, wine, cider, sensible money, functional healthcare, infrastructure and postal services. 7

Wonder how Canada will measure up. 





No comments:

Post a Comment