Thursday, August 23, 2012

Part Two of Vancouver

I should probably write some more about my stay in Vancouver. Before I forget it all.  I had an awesome time, it was lovely hanging out with Alex, Liz and Tearles for a few days. Slightly intimidating though, I forget how much older and smarter so many of my friends are. :P

We all went up to the hills, to a park that had a suspension bridge and on the other side a tree top walk that was like an Ewok village. Also a birds of prey rehabilitation/carers thing. Owls are huge! But I still haven't seen any Bald Eagles. I should get on that. 

We went up to the top of a dam and that was pretty cool. Apparently it's absolutely nuts in winter. We did get to the top of the hill (I've forgotten the name of it) but it was so stupidly foggy we couldn't see anything which was a shame. About halfway up though was a lookout with some fantastic views.

On the Monday, Tearles caught the train home, Alex went to work and Liz and I hung out all day (she had flexi time?). We didn't do much, I had loads of laundry that needed to be done, but we did wander through some nearby parks and got lunch at the local shopping centre and chatted. I maybe found a shop full of all sorts of trashy arm socks, gloves and studded belts and all that teenage stuff I absolutely lurve, but try and pretend I'm too much of a grown-up to enjoy.

We hung out at the park a while afterwards. I swear it was like a sickening disney movie. We spent ages spotting rabbits and squirrels, ducks and canadian geese (which Liz kept trying to convince me aren't as MEAN as farmyard geese but I think it's a trap). The number of rabbits though was amazing. BABY BUNNIES. So cute. Apparently they are mostly abandoned pets which is sad, but at the same time, that the land can support them and naturally has birds that'll help keep the population of them down is just crazy.

I'm told this is what happens when you're in a country that actually has rain.

The final day I spent mostly wandering by myself around central Vancouver, with my gear in Alex's car, so he could drop me off at the train station after work. Usual exploration for me. I found a hairdresser who did a fantastic job of my hair and actually put 'stopper' in through my hair to stop the dye running and fading so quickly. Like Wildilocks really should have been. Also tidied up and fixed a lot of the problems that I'd had with the hair. All for like 2/3 of the price (including the huge-arse tip I left her) that I would have it done for in Perth. With none of the problems. So good. After that I wandered around some more, was snubbed and people were rude at a comic store I found, so I moved on and found a few second hand bookstores that were just amazing. And also a huge fire risk.

 I don't know. I don't think I'm very good at this travelling. Instead of seeing on million things or drinking until passing out in a gutter in Edinborough (Hi Anil!) I seem to just enjoy wandering, listening to the conversations and going through the second hand bookstores.

It's funny what the bookstores say about a place really.

No photos today because I forgot to transfer them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment