Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Me vs. Seattle Round 2

I'll write about the rest of Vancouver later when I have all of the photos on hand.

So last night I got back into Seattle, but this time I'm in the International District. I'm heading to Redmond (a satellite city and 'home of Microsoft' where a friend lives) later today, but she doesn't get home till like 6pm.

My train got in at 10.10pm last night. I decided it'd be easiest to walk from the train station through to the hostel I was staying the night at. Supposedly it was only 300m.

This was probably not my greatest decision, all weighed down with all my (obviously) touristy luggage, with my tired, slightly drunk confused look on. Had quite a few looks from people that made me go hmmmmm. Didn't help I got my directions confused and didn't want to pull the ipad out.

Then when I was less than a block a way two large gang-looking dudes stopped me and wanted to 'ask me something'. Apparently originally they thought I might be homeless? Pathetically, this made me feel sad that they'd think that, I'd only just gotten my hair cut and redyed that afternoon (and the lady did a really good job).

Anyway, stopped by two dudes looking like they're out for trouble, asking me questions, I figured, well this is probably the end of the holiday, robbed, injury or death here we come. Once they worked out I was lost though, the dudes were like, oh okay, gave me directions, advice and a hug. And I still have all my stuff. I didn't really want the hug, but hey, I was in no position to do anything about it, and the dude was saying welcome my hood, so I guess it was friendly not skeezey intent?

It was a weird encounter. I mean they moved right along after I said thanks to finding their mates, presumably to go cause trouble for someone that wasn't me. I can't figure out if I misjudged them horribly or if this is the magical Australian accent effect people keep telling me about. Or if it was something else entirely.

It makes me sad though, to realise that this encounter has basically proven, I'm safer wandering the streets looking like a tourist in the middle of the night in the dodgey parts of an American city than hanging out mates at home (except for craft day peeps). I mean rationally I already knew that, certainly I've had enough of those experiences, that have forever branded me that crazy angry don't touch lady, but still.

Maybe that was the best bit about GeekGirlCon, I could cheerful nerd out to my hearts content, but not worry about people being sleazy. Or being hated by the resident feminist group when I yell loudly about being grouped and people protecting that person.

Hm. That wasn't meant to get so cynical.

In any case. I cannot be bothered with today. My luggage is all with my hostel until my bus and I have zero patience with anything. My current plan is to surf from free wifi place to free wifi place and drink and eat loads of terrible Starbucks food. And glare at everyone, generally be a grump and maybe catch up on some writing. Because I feel like it.

I'd post pictures of the new hairdo but I left my camera in my luggage. It looks absolutely amazing though dudes.


No comments:

Post a Comment