Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Still in Seattle

Summarising a few things because I have been lazy. So. Here is the stuff I've been up to in the past week or so.

Space Needle: Wandered down to the Space Needle and World Fair 1962 area via the monorail from the Westlake Centre. It was all pretty cool. A weird mix of old style (50 years old) buildings and archetecture that was obviously intended to be all about the future. Layered on top of this is more recent additions/upgrades/renovations. So like futurism layered with actual contemporariness. Or something. There was fair type stuff going on all around it (due to the 50 years thing) but all the musuems and the Needle itself were expensive. So I decided to pass on the rides and most of the stuff to wander around the grounds having fun and pondering retro-futurism.

EMP Museum: I did go to one museum, the music and science fiction museum. While the SF bit wasn't the greatest, Avatar really not being my thing, it did have some interesting history and items on show. Even if it wasn't nearly in depth enough for a nerd like myself. I was very impressed at the Nirvana exhibit though, that was amazing. As well, seeing the AC/DC exhibit that was shown in Perth last year (I think) laid out in a much more professional setup was very cool. The cafe here was utter shit and where I learned that "with chips" on a menu here doesn't mean "with chips".

GirlGeekCon: I could talk about this for ages. Basically I had the greatest time. Made friends with and met many awesome people. Met many awesome comic book famous people as well. Got heaps of my books signed, even got given a book by one of the authors. Made friends with the guy who runs comicsbulletin and he ended up taking me to the end of a press type function (where I got to chat with Gail Simone and her husband) and to this insanely cool indie bookstore... Learned all sorts of interesting stuff, they had heaps of activities and talks about how to deal with the tech industry and learn all sorts of stuff. It wasn't "crazy feminist" just a relaxed and fun event where you didn't have to deal with the skeeze and 'but you're a girl' attitude, instead jut enjoy talking about comics and being given advice on how to do whatever it was you wanted to do.  I want to go again next year.

University District: I adventures on the cable cars (which are crazy awesome) to the fringes of what I'm fairly sure is the university district the other day. Didn't do much as such there, visited a few interesting looking stores and basically surfed from cafe to cafe (they all have free wireless and it was super hot) while I waited for the check-in to open at my next hotel. Very beautiful there and I had heaps of fun exploring the area and  adventuring to find my way back.

Friday morning I take the train to Vancouver to spend a few days with Liz and Alex and Tearles. I'm coming back to the US via Seattle again to visit Jovanna, and then my plan is to rent a car. No I don't have dates planned past that. That is what today and tomorrow are for.




No comments:

Post a Comment